sets up a global hub for continuous innovation of its product suite
IDDINK group made a strategic shift from acquisition-led growth and embarked on a challenging pursuit of becoming an end-to-end software platform for the education sector through internal innovation.
Impressed with its successful track record of enabling innovation for many similar product businesses, IDDINK partnered coMakeIT to set up a global hub for continuous innovation of its product suite and execute its platform strategy.
The India-based global innovation hub consisting of multiple scrum teams was set up and quickly scaled in less than a year to support, stabilize, modernize, and innovate IDDINK’s suite of products.
IDDINK Group is a leading provider of educational services in the Benelux region, and consists of the following key business units and product lines:
- Magister, school information system primarily for secondary education
- EduaArte, school information system primarily for vocational education
- Iddink, distribution of learning materials
for secondary education
IDDINK serves nearly 80% of secondary and vocational schools in the Netherlands and more than 2 million students, parents, teachers, and administrators use its products and services on a daily basis. From the distribution of school books to managing school systems and providing an online portal for delivering customized learning material, IDDINK offers a full-spectrum of educational services.
As IDDINK made a strategic shift to become an end-to-end software platform for the education sector, it faced the following challenges:
- maintain and support aging technology stacks across multiple product lines
- modernize legacy applications and support cloud deployments
- new feature development to keep up with changing regulations
- innovate and transform into a provider of customized student-centric learning solutions
The strategic partnership with coMakeIT enabled IDDINK to:
- set up a global innovation hub and establish a distributed software factory in India
- quickly scale up to a 40-member operation spread across 7 scrum teams (organized as mixed-scrum teams with equal participation from the Netherlands and India)
- adopt an integrated process and unified workflow to execute seamlessly; systematically transfer domain expertise to the India-based teams through continuous in-person training and knowledge transfer in the Netherlands and India
Impact and Business value
The strategic partnership with coMakeIT helped IDDINK to:
- establish a global innovation hub with the needed technology and process expertise
- overcome skill shortages and capacity constraints
- take control of code base of products that were acquired or were under development with partners
- Maintain and support legacy stack built with million+ lines of code
- Initiate plans for application and deployment modernization